We've all heard the saying "Waste not, want not" but how many of us actually live by them?
With the growing climate crisis looming many are becoming more aware of their own impact on the environment. Sustainable living, Eco-friendly, zero waste - these are all lifestyle choices that have found their way into the psyche of corporations and individuals.
We've curated a few of our favourite ways to use essential oils in your zero waste lifestyle so that you can waste not!
1. Bathroom and Kitchen Cleaner
Eliminate the use of single use plastic spray cleaners by making your own! This bathroom and kitchen cleaner effectively cleans whilst giving off a scent of your choice! Buy a glass spray bottle or reuse an old plastic one to help cut down on your waste. We love using lavender essential oil for its soothing scent and antibacterial properties!
- 120ml Distilled White Vinegar
- 2tbs Baking Soda
- 30 drops of essential oil of your choice (we'd recommend eucalyptus, peppermint or lavender)
- Shake well
3. Oil Cleanser
Reuse an old tincture bottle to dispense your DIY oil cleanser.
- Use a carrier oil such as castor, olive or almond as a base. You could also use a mix for extra moisturising properties.
- Add 10 drops of an essential oil of your choice (we'd recommend Lavender, rose, orange or jasmine).
- Massage onto face to melt off any make up and/or dirt.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Pat dry
Double Oil cleansing is great for a more thorough cleanse when used in conjunction with a second foaming cleanser.
Toothpaste tends to come in single use plastic and is chock full of chemicals. Our diy toothpaste recipe is safe for you and the environment - win win!
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 30 drops of peppermint or spearmint essential oil
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl until it forms a paste. Wet bristles and get brushing!